Bureau Manager - BBC News Serbian
This job has been closed.
Contract type: Continuing
Salary: Local Terms and Conditions apply
BBC World Service is an international multimedia broadcaster, part of BBC News, delivering a wide range of language and regional services and working increasingly with other parts of BBC News to serve global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 320 million globally, including TV, digital platforms including social media, AM, FM, shortwave, digital satellite and cable channels.
As part of an historic and exciting expansion the BBC World Service is expanding its language services serving audiences in 12 new languages. All Language Services are multiplatform, with a multimedia website with a focus on digital video, text, interactivity for both desktop and mobile platforms, and a daily TV news programmes for each service.
Reporting to the International Manager, People for the day-to-day running of the Belgrade Bureaux finances and administration; You will be responsible for the supervision of the financial and administrative affairs in Belgrade.
The key task of this role is to provide efficient functioning of the office (administration, technology, staffing, business relationships and other aspects that may be required for the smooth day-to-day operation), and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Belgrade Bureaux.
Typical day to day duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Finance Operation management; supervise preparation and presentation of data for tax submissions to tax authorities and ensure the timely payment of taxes.
- Supervision of HR operations including maintenance of HR documentation.
- To supervise an administrative assistant, any new potential staff members, and editorial staff and arrange their job responsibilities to ensure efficient functioning of the Bureau in all areas in their charge.
- To oversee any regional projects that are requested by the International Manager.
Are you the right candidate?
- Fluent spoken and written English and Serbian; excellent communications skills and ability to manage remote communication effectively.
- Experience of supporting and delivering to strategic objectives.
- Sound book keeping experience: working with budgets; preparing financial reports; advising managers of cost issues; good working knowledge of SAP and/or relevant accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of local tax, commercial, media, labour and safety legislation.
- Experience of managing and motivating a team; strong personal skills and confidence in communicating with people at all levels and from different backgrounds.
- Experience of stakeholder and crisis management.
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills, with demonstrated experience of negotiating contracts with external suppliers and partners.
- Demonstrated experience of introducing new, flexible and efficient working practices.
- Demonstrable ability to handle pressure, meet tight deadlines; to prioritise work and to confidently delegate authority; to manage several projects at the same time.
- Excellent IT skills, with advanced knowledge of and programmes such as Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as the ability to become proficient in internal BBC technology systems.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment and appreciation of the particular demands it may place on financial and administrative work.
- A knowledge of Serbian media scene and future trends; sensitivity to and awareness of the role of international broadcasters in Serbia.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC.