Scotland Production Apprentice Scheme 2018
The job has expired.
The BBC Scotland Apprenticeship scheme is a fantastic opportunity to kick-start your career in the media industry. If you have a passion for producing brilliant content, keen to learn the production management process and motivated to have a career in the media, then there’s no better place to start turning that dream into a reality than through gaining a place on the apprenticeship scheme.
BBC Scotland Production Apprentices will mainly be based in Glasgow and work across various departments throughout the year creating and planning TV, Radio and Online content for output and programmes. As well as learning on the job, you will also study towards a Level 3 in Creative and Digital Media, which is delivered by a local Glasgow college provider.
What’s on offer?
- A 12 month fixed-term contract paying £14,250 per year. Training fees and all travel and accommodation expenses for training are covered.
- The chance to work on a wide variety of programmes across TV, radio and online production for all output and programmes.
- Industry training delivered by the BBC Academy from specialists and senior BBC and freelance production staff as well as training provided by the college.
Throughout the 12 month scheme, you will get the opportunity to work in areas which may include Radio Music/General Programmes, News and Current Affairs, Online, Knowledge and Learning teams including Bitesize, The Social, Factual TV (which covers Science, Art and Documentaries), Sport, Children’s and Post Production areas. During placements you will have the chance to work across 2 areas of production:
Creative – working towards an editorial role as a Runner / Junior Researcher / Radio Content Assistant: creating content, pitching programme ideas, researching and contacting contributors / stories / locations.
Production Management: for those who have great organisation and planning skills and passionate about bringing together a production. You could be working towards a Production Management Assistant role which includes planning, organising programme logistics, health & safety, copyright.
Following an initial training period, you will then start your range of placements, with training at college and with BBC Academy.
Along with your scheme manager, you will have a placement manager who will be responsible for your learning objectives and progress. You will be assessed on these objectives during the course of your placements.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate
- Don’t worry about having experience; it’s you as a person we’re interested in. (Although if you have, or are working towards a vocational based qualification you may not be eligible).
- Ideally educated up to National 5 level (Maths & English).
- A passion for either producing and creating brilliant, diverse content, and/or have great organisation and planning skills who is keen to understand what the creative and technical teams need for the production process to happen.
- Knowledge of BBC content and programmes on all media, with an interest in the BBC and the wider media industry.
- Punctual and responsible with good organisational, prioritisation and practical skills.
- You should be keen to learn and have the motivation, and ability, to combine working in a professional media environment with college study and additional training.
- You must be able to work flexibly as working at the BBC is not always a Monday to Friday, 9 to 5, job.
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building and developing a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.