Senior Tester - BBC Education
This job has been closed.
Grade 8 (Proposed Band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
In BBC Education you’ll help change the lives of millions of people by delivering world-class learning experiences via our Bitesize and Food products. We deliver amazing online products and apps that inform, educate, entertain and inspire.
Our vision is to unlock learning potential in everything the BBC does and make learning feel effortless, through connected services built around world-class BBC content and by joining our team you will be given the opportunity to make a real difference to the BBC's online mission.
Our agile teams are made up of software engineers, testers, user experience designers, design researchers, product owners, business analysts and project managers, all striving to create extraordinary experiences for our audiences.
Learning, developing and sparking curiosity is part our culture, so you will be joining a team who really care about you, the development of your technical skills, your career aspirations and your contribution to our great team culture.
How we work
In BBC Education we build our products following Continuous Delivery practices on AWS with a strong focus on Node.JS. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - deploying to live multiple times a day.
We perform automated (Nightwatch.js, Backstop.js) and manual testing to ensure that our fully responsive web solutions and associated back-end services deliver an excellent experience for our audience across the wide range of devices and browsers they use.
Testers are fully integrated in our agile development teams and processes, and are involved from planning and initiation through to live deployment. The testers role is to understand and influence early on in order to prevent bugs and to help ensure that we consistently deliver quality software.
We excel at collaboration and often we work closely with other test teams in the BBC - and external companies - to push our capabilities further.
As a Senior Tester you will be expected to work across multiple product workstreams, helping to ensure that we develop software to a high standard with an emphasis on quality. You will promote a consist automated and manual testing process across different product streams, and support the Test Team Lead in identifying and delivering tool and process improvements.
You will have a strong background in software testing and good knowledge of web testing from both automated and manual testing perspectives.
You will love learning new technologies and are able to evaluate them and apply these to a variety of projects.
You’ll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. You’ll promote your skills, share your knowledge and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- An enthusiasm for Education and Learning for all levels
- A very good knowledge of software testing best practices
- A desire and ability to learn quickly, keep up to date with the latest testing tools and techniques and propose and lead process improvement initiatives
- Excellent communication and influencing skills with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Great testing skills and experience of testing cloud hosted web applications and associated backend services
- Hands-on experience of different web automation testing tools and frameworks (preferrably JS based)
- A good understanding of when and how to test automation use it as part of the overall test approach
- Experience of working in a highly collaborative, Agile development team
- Ability to lead testing activities across multiple product areas
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.