Extend in News; A BBC News Disability Development Programme
This job has been closed.
In BBC News, we aim to deliver the best and most innovative content. We want to challenge and speak to our audiences in new and engaging ways and most importantly, we want to be in touch with what’s on people’s minds. Our aim is to create more opportunities for journalists with disabilities in BBC News due to an under-representation across the BBC as a whole. This year we are also open to applications for production management assistant roles. We want anyone with a disability, be that hidden or visible, to consider applying to be part of this exciting opportunity.
Under the year-long programme we are offering six positions for placements in teams across BBC News. The roles available are at various levels of experience, from junior levels to more experienced senior editorial levels. We will match the right candidate to the right opportunity.
Across the 12 months you will receive bespoke training and support from BBC managers and you will also be mentored by someone from within BBC News.
If you're creative, passionate about storytelling and want to either work behind the scenes or delivering innovative content for a wide range of audiences across our digital and other platforms then we want to hear from you.
What's on offer?
- A 12 month continuing contract* with a UK based BBC News team, starting 8th April 2019 (* subject to successfully completing a probationary period)
- Bespoke training and learning tailored to your position
- Any reasonable adjustments required to create the best possible working environment for you
- You will work with experienced BBC editors and staff as well as being mentored by someone within BBC News
- You will be part of a network of people who have joined the BBC on this programme
- For internal BBC staff the opportunity to also be considered for a three month development attachment in a BBC News team
The roles available
- People applying for the 12 month programme will be selected for one of the following roles and will be matched to the most suitable team:
- Video Journalist
- Senior Journalist
- Production Management Assistant
Please see the attached job descriptions for further information.
Are you the right candidate?
- You have a real enthusiasm for News and Current Affairs
- You are creative, full of journalistic ideas, determined and resilient
- You have a disability (hidden or visible)
Disabilities are recognised by the Equality Act 2010: “A person has a disability if they have a physical or mental impairment, and the impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This definition includes impairments or medical conditions such as Cancer, HIV or MS.”
People who were recruited on the 2017 Extend in News programme are ineligible to apply.
If you are applying to a Journalism Placement you will need to be prepared for the following question on the application form and there will be a space to add the link.
- Make a video or a piece of audio to tell us why you want a place on this programme.