Head of Comedy
This job has been closed.
BBC Studios Comedy Production (www.bbc.co.uk/production/comedy) is the biggest producer of comedy in the UK, both on television and radio and prides itself on working with the very best in comedy talent.
It is responsible for some of the country’s most watched and most listened to comedies across radio, television and online including ‘Inside No 9’, ‘Mrs Brown’s Boys’, ‘Dead Ringers’ and ‘Sorry I haven’t got a clue’, to name just a few.
The Head of Comedy provides editorial leadership to the Comedy department and is responsible for securing commissions and for delivering the very best in comedy programming.
- To have extensive experience and a passion for Comedy
- To provide creative editorial and business leadership and create a clear vision for the department.
- To be responsible for determining and directing the content production strategy to deliver outstanding and original content across TV, Radio, Online and social media to meet local, national and international needs.
- To work closely with and lead key production management colleagues to shape the comedy business going forward.
- To be responsible for developing and maintaining a wide range of Television and Radio Comedy programmes, liaising closely with the BBC Comedy commissioning team, co-producers and other commercial partners
- To have strong and dynamic relationships with commissioners, writers and key on and off screen talent.
- To plan, pitch and deliver outstanding content, monitoring and critically reviewing audience figures and editorial and production quality
- To promote diversity in all BBC Comedy content, ensuring that this is integrated into every aspect of the programme making process.
Are you the right candidate?
You will need to have substantial experience as a programme maker in the Comedy genre and have a brilliant editorial, strategic and commercial mind.
You will be a knowledgeable and credible leader within the Comedy industry with a strong understanding of the specific dynamics that make the genre work effectively and have strong relationships within the creative community.
With in-depth experience of comedy production and/or commissioning, you will need to show you can set an exciting, effective comedy strategy, develop and retain a diverse range of comedy talent including writers, producers, directors and on-screen talent.
You will have a deep comedy knowledge which will be the basis for delivering the most innovative, funny and original programmes, ensuring value to the breadth of our audiences.
You will have significant understanding of current trends and issues within the broadcasting industry and have an acute awareness of output across the whole of the BBC as well as that of its competitors.
You will have proven track record in managing and developing large teams, including partners, freelancers and /or independent companies
You should have outstanding communication skills and an ability to foster relationships with a wide range of internal and external contacts with the skill to relay contentious decisions without impacting on key relationships to promote creative development
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care about how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here