Digital Marketing Director
This job has been closed.
Purpose of the role
- Responsible for defining the development and overseeing implementation of customer acquisition and retention strategy and marketing plans for a new, highly curated BBCS subscription video-on-demand (VOD) service in North America, that is focused on politics, culture, and ideas.
- Ensures that key performance metrics, including new customer acquisitions, monthly churn % and CPAs are managed and achieved in line with the business plan
- North America relationship owner for the new service with 3rd party platform partners - ensuring maximum prominence and promotion of the BBCS VOD service through effective account management and by building deep relationships with marketing, commercial & editorial representiatives at the platforms.
Scope & Impact
- Is accountable for the development and execution of digital marketing strategy and UX across the new VOD service’s digital footprint (3rd party platforms and owned & operated)
- Is a lead executive and ambassador for BBCS, leading and supporting relationships with digital clients and other external and internal stakeholders.
- Provides day-to-day leadership and support to a global team
- Provide strategic vision and cross-channel digital planning expertise to define campaign and brand digital strategy, ensuring robust campaign delivery and management processes
- Define and oversee the customer journey, making UX recommendations across distribution channels and platforms
- Bring strategic insight and a deep knowledge of the digital landscape to enhance integrated brand and campaign planning for the brand
- Build a forensic understanding of our target audience likes, preferences and behaviours and ensure this is reflected in our marketing plans
- Define and oversee the tracking and optimisation of the marketing budget and CPA, ensuring spend and performance is in line with the business plan
- Ensure that key marketing KPIs are tracked and delivered, including (but not limited to):
- Marketing reach
- Conversion rate
- Free Trialists
- CRM database
- Ensure that the following key commercial KPIs are tracked and delivered, including (but not limited to):
- Subscriber acquisition (subscriber levels, new adds, conversion from free trial to paid subscription)
- Churn %
- Ensure utilisation of the most appropriate, efficient and effective channel and media mix, across owned, paid-for and earned platforms, applying test and learn methodologies to optimise activity and spend, ensuring any external paid-for activity is absolutely justified.
- Develop and input into each priority campaign brief, defining appropriate campaign objectives and advise on the most effective, efficient and timely use of the BBC Studios’ digital resources.
- Have an awareness of all BBC Group brands, digital strategies and target audiences to assess appropriate and accurate opportunities for the new BBCS VOD service
- Manage and drive activity across strategy, media planning, data and insights, publishing and content production, both directly and indirectly, ensuring the development and maintenance of digital best practice.
- Monitor competitor activity, commission and interpret media research and communicate to stakeholders.
- Build influential relationships with BBC Group stakeholders and external relationships with vendors that can support the growth of the new BBCS SVOD service
- Partner with internal stakeholders such as Marketing, Comms & Events, Operations, Legal and Finance in order to support the delivery and execution of commercial plans and to promote and ensure high visibility for the BBCS SVOD service in the market
- Demonstrate expert understanding and knowledge of BBC content, rights framework and windowing strategy.
- Work closely and productively with the digital marketing team (including digital planners, media buying, production, CRM & social) based in London. Manage outsourced agency and vendors as required.
- Ensure compliance with BBC Code of Conduct, Editorial Standards, Advertising and Sponsorship Guidelines, BBC Studios values and all other commercial policy requirements, making sure that all business is conducted with the highest standards of integrity and ethics.
Are you the right candidate?
Knowledge & Skills
The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Proven track record in delivering customer acquisition and retention, preferably within an SVOD environment
- A creative and strategic thinker, able to articulate a vision and goals, generate innovative ideas and approaches, and translate these into practical realities.
- Analytical and data driven to help us to test, learn and optimise our activity and spend
- An eye for detail, someone who is willing to roll their sleeves up and get involved in executional detail as well as strategic oversight
- Good written and verbal communication.
- Able to collaborate across organisational boundaries, embrace change and make improvements to working practices.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good negotiation, influencing and presentation skills.
- Self-reliant. Able to manage self and others within a complex matrix environment with shared responsibilities
- Experience in a management role is essential.
- Substantial experience in digital development and strategy is essential.
- Significant experience in a consumer-facing business is essential.
- Experience in a global or regional role is desirable.
- TMT sector experience is desirable.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here