Commercial and Business Development Manager, Childrens
The job has expired.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more. (UK centric)
A wholly-owned subsidiary of the BBC, BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, have offices in 22 markets globally, including six production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The business generates revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC Public Service each year. In the UK, BBC Studios enables audiences to enjoy their favourite BBC programmes and brands outside the licence fee-funded window on alternative platforms, through a range of partnerships, and in multiple formats, from products and magazines to events and experiences.
We are seeking a Commercial and Business Development Manager to support the Children’s Content Director in delivering and managing the overall strategic commercial directives around the global children’s development and co-production slate.
You will support the development of exploitable IP by providing market insight and building, maintaining and managing first class relationships with key commercial partners and customers. In addition, you’ll partner closely with the global CBeebies branded services, BBCS broadcast sales teams, brands and licensing teams to deliver and maximise monetary and brand growth potential globally. You’ll be equipped to share knowledge and intelligence to invest in the genre and maximise the value of the content, informing development and engaging in production plans. This role will involve an element of travel to support the global partnerships, as and when we are able.
Manage all investment into titles including Investment planning, contracting, pitching (internal and external).
Prepare and present investment cases detailing key terms, editorial content and detailed financial analysis, and when required present to the relevant investment boards at BBC Studios.
Instruct the legal and business affairs team to draw up contacts and oversee negotiations to conclusion.
Utilise knowledge of the Children’s global television industry and key media markets worldwide to maintain and grow relationships with clients across linear and VOD platforms.
Manage Children’s pipeline and budget, partnering with global teams across all business areas.
Look to strategically improve procedures by reviewing and developing operational processes.
Are you the right candidate?
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- Experience working in the entertainment industry, where you have developed a deep knowledge of the Children’s global television industry and of key media markets worldwide.
- Experience of commercial deal making and tangible results in business development.
- Proven track record of working in a creative environment and influencing the creative community; including extensive experience of working with Production staff and demonstrable understanding of their needs and motivations.
- Good knowledge of contractual and copyright matters in Substantial sales and/or negotiating experience
- Knowledge, understanding and application of rights valuation procedures
- Ability to understand and work within Policy and deal frameworks (BBC Fair Trading policy)
- Ability to pitch content confidently, adapting your style for your audience
- Strong communication, analytical and presentation skills
- Invest in collaboration, able to value differences and engage with diversity of thought positively
- Ability to effectively and tactfully deal with colleagues at all levels; ability to work in and influence teams, across different cultures
- Proactive mindset, able to see projects through to completion, problem solve, and multi-task under time constraints
- Line management experience, a passion for developing talent
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.