Senior Legal Manager- Delhi
This job has been closed.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package and other benefits.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
BBC News’ International Services output includes TV, radio and international-facing news websites, operating in English and other languages to deliver to our global audiences, customers and stakeholders. The division comprises, BBC World Service which is our international radio, TV and online services in 42 languages including English.
This role provides legal and business affairs advice and support to all aspects of BBC News’ International Services business in Delhi.
This is a senior lawyer role reporting to the Director, Legal and Rights News International Services. You will be expected to work both independently and with colleagues based in Delhi, Mumbai, London and internationally.
You will have the following responsibilities
- Lead responsibility for BBC World Service distribution, content licensing, and production contracts for all aspects of the India-based business; working closely with the relevant business leads and other stakeholders to ensure effective negotiation and timely completion of the contracts required;
- Advising senior management on, compliance with all contractual and regulatory matters including TRAI and MIB and on BBC policy obligations to ensure protection of the legal interests of the BBC World Service, BBC.com and BBC World News in India ;
- Liaising with other divisions across the BBC Group, ensuring clear communication and prompt response times and ensuring the efficient and successful execution of all agreements;
- Working with the Senior Management team in Delhi including but not limited to, Head of Indian Languages, Managing Director, Global News India, and Head of Business Development, BBC World Service India to provide legal and strategic business advice on HR, business and litigation matters and to liaise closely with Director, Legal and Rights News International Services, in the management of the same;
- Develop an understanding of other activity within the BBC Group’s Legal, Business and Legal Affairs, and Commercial Rights and Business Affairs teams and maintain contacts with BBC Studios lawyers so as to ensure co-ordination of activities, and an improved awareness of India’s business activities and responsibilities across these teams;
- Provide oversight on Secretarial aspects as per Indian Company Law and any other related compliances
- Support the co-ordination of information about BBC World News channel distribution agreements and to lead on sharing information regarding legal and regulatory issues that may affect any distribution and key digital partnerships in India;
- Providing legal advice and guidance to the local editorial team in matters concerning news reporting.
Are you the right candidate?
- The ideal candidate will be a qualified lawyer with excellent academics, good training contract and at least 5 years’ post-qualification experience in a broad commercial, IP, and media environment, possibly with some management experience.
- Sound legal knowledge and experience of contractual and intellectual property rights issues affecting channel distribution and content licensing.
- Knowledge, and experience of advising and lobbying on, legal, regulatory and policy issues affecting the production, publication, broadcast, and distribution of editorial content in India.
- Experience in advising on commercial and legal issues around media rights acquisition, exploitation, and production at a senior level. Experience in advising on editorial legal matters.
- Wider general commercial media technology, operations, and digital experience.
- Analytical skills and be a good communicator, with experience of building relationships across a range of people and motivating colleagues in a team.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here